Monday, January 25, 2016

Ask the Expert...

There's a local news channel that does a weekly "Ask the Expert" segment where they bring in local doctors, lawyers, social workers, veterinarians, etc.; you know, people that are considered experts in their field. They take calls from viewers and answer everything from simple to complex questions in an attempt to educate the public about their chosen field, and give them an opportunity to get free advice....it's awesome. I was thinking about this segment the other day after some discussions I had been involved in on social media and wondered....when will those involved in the Agriculture industry first hand be regarded as "experts?" When will our enormous amount and breadth of agricultural knowledge be sought out instead of Google search results? When will the information and facts we have to share not be given the side eye as though we're part of some global conspiracy?

I see this not just in the field of Agriculture, but in the field of education as well; so as an Agriculture Education Instructor, I get a double dose of side eye....because not only am I part of the "Ag Cartel," those who can't, teach....amIright? When it comes to education, everyone from the government all the way to down to the very students we serve are convinced they could do our jobs better than we do. So this is something I experience EVERY. DAY. Whether it's from the Ag side, or the education side.

I love Google, don't get me wrong, it's amazing when I'm trying to locate something really quick, but I'm also able to discern between a credible source and a non credible source. To me, credible sources typically have what we in the business of education like to call "sources," and not just any sources will do....I'm looking for peer reviewed stuff; things that show up in science journals or university studies. I'm not going to use an article about how dairy products are going to kill us all, from a mom blogger that has no educational background in 1. food science & safety, 2. dairy science, or any animal science for that matter, or 3. human medicine. Most of the conversations I jump in to on social media revolve around an article that was written by someone with no educational background in what they're talking about and guess what else it lacks? SOURCES! I don't care what format you use, MLA, APA, or MYAB (that's Mind Your Own Business....I just made it up), just give me some credible peer-reviewed sources that back up what your claiming! Seriously y'all...my eyes are going to stick in my forehead due to the amount of eye rolling I've done this week.

One of the biggest problems we're facing in the Ag industry right now is that consumers eat this junk up! It's almost like people feel better about feeling bad about something.....like, they feel better believing that we're inhuman to animals and that we're trying to kill everyone slowly with science. It gives them something to seethe about at their play dates and at the gym; why do we as a society enjoy the negative? I'll never understand it. I've encouraged people numerous times to seek out local producers in their area and ask questions, take tours, etc. SEE HOW IT'S DONE IN THE REAL WORLD; but they don't want to. They CHOOSE to believe the meme circulating social media, and honestly they don't WANT to believe different....I mean, I get it, anyone that includes the avocado in their full name must be legit (insert eye roll....they're probably going to stick this time).

The Ag industry is becoming more and more transparent in an attempt to share our production practices and stories; in an attempt to eventually break free from the demonetization that goes along with the job. I'll undoubtedly continue to be the wet blanket on people's crusades to discredit agricultural professionals, and I'll undoubtedly be told that I know nothing....after all, I'm just an Ag teacher....

No comments:

Post a Comment