Sunday, May 31, 2015

Why I Take Attacks on Agriculture Personally

My dad was blessed with three daughters; he raised us as the sons he never had. We helped with pretty much everything on the farm; working ground, planting, harvest, equipment breakdowns and maintenance, we were what he had to work with. We've since grown up and started our own families, making our availability to help with the farm non-existent.
I stopped in to my parent's this past week while Dad was trying to get a field of beans finished up, and things weren't going so well. We had gotten a little rain earlier in the week and it had made things just wet enough to cause some problems in low lying areas. So Dad ended up getting stuck...like really stuck. He used a larger tractor to pull himself out and continued planting, only to hit another wet spot and get stuck again. The really frustrating part of all of this was that he was almost finished with the field...so close to being done! He finally finished and moved on to another field; when there's rain in the forecast, you have to keep moving. I had an appointment to keep so I left my parent's house and passed by Dad as drove away, it looked like he was in the second pass of the new field and had a flat tire...things just weren't going his way that day.
I kept thinking about all of Dad's issues as the day went on. I was helping a friend plan her son's first birthday party and she was asking me why I hate Chipotle so much, after I had rejected it as a suggestion for dinner...I knew she wouldn't understand, but I tried to explain anyway. I told her that any business that launches an attack on agriculture, launches an attack on my family. Especially with their new non-GMO campaign. Conventional farmers, like my dad, are targeted; they're portrayed by excellent marketing schemes to be money hungry people that will harm people and animals to make a buck. I know differently, I know this is anything but the truth. Conventional farmers are people like my dad, a man that farms during the week and spends his weekend working in a factory to support his farming habit (ha ha). He doesn't have new equipment, or fancy things like auto-steer, and some days spends more time fixing equipment breakdowns in the middle of a field with the sun beating down on him than actually getting seed in the field. So when multi-million dollar companies, like Chipotle, attempt to destroy the image of conventional farmers with their "integrity laced food," I take it personally, because it's my parent's integrity that they're targeting.
If you're confused about agriculture, or why things are done certain ways, seek out your. nearest farmer....or my dad, they'll be happy to talk to you about it. Just don't ask Chipotle, because it's difficult to get a clear picture of rural America from a high rise in the city.

1 comment:

  1. I completely feel the same. I find it hard to say the right words to people so it doesn't come across as bashing their opinion while defending my own, along with the agriculture industry. I wish people would realize ag isn't as bad as social media has made it out to be!

    ReplyDelete